Friday, April 27, 2007

The Move

So, unless you own a Hammond organ (like we do), books are arguably the worst thing to move. Lots of books equals heavy box after heavy box after heavy box. That's why our behavior in the last week is so amazingly absurd.

Today I realized that in the last 7 days, Will and I have purchased 10 books between us, including several hardcovers. Now, they were all thrift store bargains or remainders, but still...! I am now starting my quest to read and/or give away as many of them as possible. Here's the list:

- Guinea Pig reference book (hardcover, great photos from the 70's - keeping this one!)
- James Herriot's Dog Stories (It's been ages since I read it. I'll probably get through it this summer and pass it on to another pre-vet)
- The Numbers Game (Will's, baseball-related which means that I have no idea of its worth)
- Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things (Will saw this book a while ago at the Museum of Useful Things in Cambridge--was awesome to find it cheap on a remainder table at Brookline Booksmith!)
- The Areas of my Expertise (by John Hodgeman, Daily Show Comedian)
- A Model World (by Michael Chabon, which I started reading today)
- My Sister's Keeper (recent bestseller--That's the book about the girl who was born for the express purpose of providing donation organs to her sister. I'll probably read it and send it along to my little sister, with some creepy comment...)
- Donald and the... (Yay, Edward Gorey!)
- A reference book that will remain nameless because it will probably find it's way to my dad for Father's Day
- The Last Days of Dogtown (Appropriate since we were married in Gloucester and like to go to the beach there--perfect summer reading, and I'll probably pass it on to my mom.)

That reminds me, last summer when my dad and sister were visiting, we spent a day in Gloucester. After some time on the beach, we went to look for Dogtown, the part of town that used to be inhabited by suspected witches and other people on the fringes of society and lots and lots of dogs. These days it's just an overgrown maze of trails. As we drove down a quiet street toward the border of Dogtown, a rather ominous and angry big dog walked into the street and blocked our path. We drove past carefully, and he attacked the car. It was eerily perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home